Thursday, April 23, 2015

Doing Not Dreaming

To whom it may concern,

I hope this letter reaches you well.  I am pleased to welcome you to my very first blog. My name is Christian Harris and I have wanted to do this for a long time, but never got around to doing so. I'll be honest, I've been too lazy to do it. I have come to realize that I set my mind on things that really interest me, are obtainable, doable and I can excel in, but never get around to doing them for some reason or another; usually an excuse that should not take me away from accomplishing what I want to accomplish. I dreamed a lot, but often found myself going with the everyday flow of my life. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but when you have aspirations that supersede those in which you are participating in currently, there is no room for normalcy. Everyday has to be another step in the direction that you see yourself in the future; near and distant. 

This blog is not for dreamers, but doers and those that want to become doers. The goal of this blog is to try to encourage, uplift, challenge, inspire and question the doers, thinkers, intellectuals, the religious, non-religious, educated, rich, poor, black, white, heterosexuals, homosexuals, racists, sexists, homophobics, etc. Essentially, this blog is for me, but if those previously listed would like to join me on this journey I would love to have you all. The idea here is to unify and strengthen the human race as a whole. There will be some things on here that will not sit well with everyone, including myself, but sometimes we need to feel uncomfortable in order to realize that we do need to change. I will touch on social issues, education, faith and anything else that may come to mind. 

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream, but he was not a dreamer. Dreamers never wake up and they never reach their goals because they are too busy sleeping and dreaming. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a doer that had dreams. There is nothing wrong with having dreams. When you have a dream you know you have that dream because you wake up from your slumber. If you are constantly dreaming then you have probably found yourself in a functioning coma. I literally just made that phrase up (lol), but a functioning coma is when one can hear, see and even feel the things around them, but are too busy sleeping to even want to wake up and become involved in the things that they truly want to be involved in. Sleepers/functioning coma patients can work, go to school, play sports and the like, but they will always be dreamers. I believe that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. shared his dream with us, one that he was actively pursuing, not only because it had the potential to be ground shaking/breaking and world changing, but because he knew that there were dreamers out there who needed a push in order to wake up and start doing. 

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 

Best,
Christian Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment