Friday, May 1, 2015

One Cause, Many Colors

I wasn't going to post for the rest of this week, but I was provided with the opportunity to get to know someone today who put a few things back into perspective for me and he's not even aware of it.  I just want to share a very small piece of this story because I think it's very important and could benefit someone as it did me. This man's name is Ray.  Ray is a 29 year old white male from Howard County, Maryland that works where I work on the weekends.  Ray is fairly new to the company and, this being my third week back on the job since August, 2014, today was only my second time meeting him.  When I learned that I would be working with Ray the first thought that came to my head was, "the last thing I want to do during times like these is work ten plus hours with a guy like this."  You see, Ray looks like a "typical hick", big beard, sort of a country twang in his voice and looks like he chain smokes marlboros and when he's not smoking those he probably has a pound of grizzly in every crevice of his jaw line, and, like many of us do, I immediately judged him on his appearance.  Being a black man in America I try my hardest to never do that to people, but, to be honest, my emotions have been taking a hold of me and outweighing my usual actions and thoughts.

It turns out that Ray has lived in Baltimore City for the past ten years and not in a "nice" area such as Federal Hill or Fells Point.  Not only has Ray been in Baltimore for ten years, but he's had a rough time in the city.  From living in over ten different places and homelessness to resorting to crime and violence just to try to make ends meet, it has not been a white picket fence story for Ray.  Ray has since changed things around a little for himself through hard work and dedication.  He and his fiancĂ© can now afford to move to a nice area in the county, but the city has become a part of him and is where he plans on staying for a while.

While working, I figured that I could get along with this guy, but when the topic of the Baltimore "riots" came up I held my breath to prepare for what was going to come out of his mouth.  To my surprise, Ray only had positive things to say about the situation.  He spoke a lot about the oppression of blacks and minorities across America and how the movement that we are seeing take place is nothing new, it's just not always in our face the way it was in 1968, the way it was in Ferguson not too long ago and the way it is now in Baltimore.  It was crazy to hear that coming from him because I was just thinking that same thing yesterday and how the Civil Rights Movement actually started in the underground railroad and probably before that.  When we heard about the policemen getting charged in regards to the Freddie Gray situation, Ray started banging on the steering wheel and yelling, "YES, IT'S ABOUT TIME! THAT'S ONE STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION."  I promise that this man sounded more excited than if Rosa Parks were still alive and heard the news.  Ray also used "we" a lot, when referring to the current situation in Baltimore, and, at first, it made me upset because I thought that he had no clue what "we" go through.

Ray acknowledged the fact that, even though he's had some rough times, he will never know what it's like to be black in America, but understands and is empathetic towards our everyday tribulations.  Working with Ray today reminded me that this movement is not about black vs. white, or officers vs. the people, but it's about those that want what's right to finally start taking place and for America to truly be the land of the free.  Ray reminded me that there are people that help me to keep my back straight, when I'm feeling the weight of being black in America, that aren't even black.  Ray reminded me that the face of my enemies are not always white and that the face of my allies are not always black.  Ray's excitement and passion for the movement that was started so long ago has inspired me to take my passion to the next level.  This 29 year old white man from hicktown USA is not my oppressor, but he is my brother and I have so many others like him in my life that I am thankful for.  Ray, thank you so much for keeping my hope in humanity alive and reminding me that color is not a barrier, but another opportunity to show the naysayers that our demands and wants are possible to reach.  He also reminded me that there are white people that understand what I mean when I stand with my head held high and hold my right fist in the air.  They understand that I'm not anti-white, but I'm conveying an important message of pride, power and strength to a people that need to know that they are worth more than they are portrayed to be.  Thank you for being a pillar in Baltimore as WE continue OUR fight and set out to see OUR needs and OUR wants met.  I just met you today, but you will forever and always be my brother.

By the way, if you got a free pulled pork sandwich, while walking during Wednesday's protest, from some tall skinny white boy with a beard, that was Ray.  Also, if you get free snacks tomorrow at the rally that is supposed to take place in Baltimore from some white punk rocker looking guy, that's Ray's friend and Ray and I gave him those snacks to pass out because we'll be at work all day.

~Blessings~

No comments:

Post a Comment